Some people say Labor Day is the unofficial end to summer. We say it’s a chance to have fun for three solid days.
Here are some thrifty ways to enjoy summer’s last holiday, no matter what your plans are.
Soak up the sun
This is the perfect time to add one more layer to your tan. Try these tips to catch rays and not burn a lot of cash:
- Hit up the beach - Some beaches close after this weekend, so pack your own food and drinks and spend a day on the shore
- Cook up cheap eats - Fire up the grill and try these tips to BBQ on a budget
- Catch a free outdoor concert or event - Many cities and neighborhoods offer free entertainment this weekend, so check out what’s going on in your area
Labor Day weekend is one of the busiest travel times of the year.1 Whether you plan to drive or fly, these suggestions could save you time and money:
- Road trip for less - From gas apps to prepping your vehicle, there are several ways to save money on a road trip
- Score cheap airfare - Try these insider tips to book cheap airfare
- Save once you get there - With proper planning, you can also save money once you reach your destination
Host a party
Most Labor Day parties are casual get-togethers, so nobody expects you to break the bank. Try these ideas to make it festive and cost-friendly:
- Reuse decorations - Memorial Day and 4th of July decorations also work for Labor Day
- Make it a potluck - Ask each guest to bring one dish or dessert
- Provide your own entertainment - Play music off your phone and set up games for adults and kids
Save big online and in-store
Holiday weekends are known for their sales. If you love a great deal, here are some items you might find at a discounted price2:
- Patio furniture
Close out summer the right way
It doesn’t take much to have fun over Labor Day weekend. After all, this federal holiday was created to relax and enjoy the fruits of our labor. Hopefully these ideas help you make the most of it.
1. Ramon, Jason Christiano. “What Is the Busiest Travel Day?”. USAToday.com
https://traveltips.usatoday.com/busiest-travel-day-108182.html (accessed August 6, 2018.)
2. Omell, Courtney. “9 Things to Buy During Labor Day Sales.” Bradsdeals.com. https://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/labor-day-deals (accessed August 6, 2018).