Ultimate Auto Safety Resource Guide
By Stephanie Lo
Auto safety is a major concern due to the increasing percentage of vehicle-related accidents and deaths. Each year, an average of 1.3 million people die in automobile crashes around the world. More than 37,000 of those deaths take place in the United States. Although there is not one simple solution to this problem, there are resources available to help
Today, drivers have access to all kinds of tools and information that can help them drive safely. It's important to learn about topics such as: road safety, vehicle safety, the rules of the road, distracted and drunk driving and how to drive in inclement weather before hitting the road.
Highway and Road Safety
- ASIRT Road Crash Statistics: This site features annual automobile crash statistics for the United States as well as for around the world.
- Highway Safety: Take the Appropriate Steps to Stay Safe on the Road: The Red Cross wants everyone to get safely to their destination. Here, they provide readers with several car safety tips.
- Road Safety Is Everyone's Responsibility: Everyone needs to take responsibility for keeping the roads safe. Here are some great tips for staying safe.
- Highway Safety Improvement Program: Learn about the Highway Safety Improvement Program and all that the Federal Highway Administration does to make the highways safe.
- Highway Safety Information System: The Highway Safety Information System site is a great place to find information relating to traffic volume, road inventory and crash statistics.
- Driver Safety Tips: Learn how to drive safely among commercial vehicles with the tips from this site.
- How Safe Is Your Vehicle?: Use this site to check the safety rating of any vehicle.
- Vehicle Safety Tips: Here, the National Fire Protection Association provides tips on how to handle fire-related vehicle safety.
- The Basics of Vehicle Safety Maintenance: This page offers advice on maintaining a car to ensure that drivers are safe.
- Safest Cars and Crossovers: Learn which cars and crossovers for 2016 are the safest.
- Preparing for Roadside Emergencies: It's important to prepare for roadside emergencies and this site offers some great advice.
Auto Crash Ratings
- Best Safety-Rated Cars: Check out the best safety-rated vehicles on Kelley Blue Book before buying a new car.
- Find and Compare Crash Test Safety Ratings: Easily research and compare crash test ratings here.
- How to Check a Car Safety Rating: Learn how to check car safety ratings and understand what the data means from this site.
- This New Car Crash Test May be Tough to Pass: Check out how one of the nation's toughest car safety tests is changing and why some cars may struggle to pass the test.
- How Safe Is the Car With a "Five-Star" Crash-Test Rating?: On this page, readers are provided with details as to what a "five-star" crash rating means.
- Crash Test Ratings: What's the Difference Between IIHS and NHTSA?: Here, drivers learn the difference between IIHS and NHTSA crash ratings.
Driver Safety and Laws
- Safety Laws by State: Take a look at safety laws on this site.
- Safety on the Road: Here, drivers learn what steps they can take to become a safer driver.
- How to Become a Safe Driver: Learn how to avoid crashes on this site.
- AAA Digest of Motor Laws: AAA provides an easy way for readers to find the driving laws specific to one's state on this page.
- Weirdest Traffic Laws: Check out some weird traffic laws that most people aren't aware of.
Distracted and Drunk Driving
- Distracted Driving Laws: The Governors Highway Safety Association outlines state specific laws about distracted driving.
- Stop the Texts, Stop the Wrecks: The "Stop the Texts, Stop the Wrecks" campaign offers readers facts on texting and driving as well as tips and other helpful tools.
- Distracted Driving: Get educated on all of the distractions that drivers have.
- Driving While Impaired: Alcohol and Drugs: This page offers an array of facts about driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
- The Dangers of Drinking and Driving: Learn what happens when someone drinks and drives on this page.
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving: Too many people have lost children to drunk drivers. Mothers Against Drunk Driving works hard to educate everyone with the facts on their site with the hope of preventing another accident.
New and Teen Drivers
- Driving Tips for Rookies: This site offers a variety of advice and tips for new drivers.
- 10 Tips for Teen Drivers and Their Parents: Teaching a teen how to drive can be challenging but this site offers a few tips to better the experience.
- Teen Driver Safety: Here, readers can find information on the leading causes of teenage crashes as well as advice on how they can prevent their teenagers from making these mistakes.
- Top Defensive Driving Tips for New Drivers: Learn how to become a defensive driver with the great tips from this site.
- Driving Techniques: Before taking a new driver out on the road, have them read about some basic driving techniques on this page.
- Car Insurance for Teens: This site provides some basic information on how to insure a teenager and what changes a policyholder can expect.
- Winter Driving Safety Tips: Before heading out on the icy winter roads, take a look at these helpful winter driving tips.
- Dangers of Summer Driving: Here, drivers can learn about the hazards of summer driving and find out how they can stay safe.
- Driving in Strong Winds: Learn how to drive in high winds on this site.
- Tornado Safety if Caught in a Car: Tornadoes can come out of nowhere and it is important to know what to do if caught in a car when they hit.
- Do's and Don'ts if Your Car Is Caught in a Flood: Take advice from the pros and learn the do's and don'ts of what to do if you are caught in a flood while driving.
- Seasonal Driving Tips: Get tips on how to drive in varying road conditions that change with the seasons.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or position of OneMain. The information in this article is provided for education and informational purposes only, without any express or implied warranty of any kind, including warranties of accuracy, completeness or fitness for any particular purpose. The information in this article is not intended to be and does not constitute financial, legal or any other advice. The information in this article is general in nature and is not specific to you the user or anyone else. The author was compensated by OneMain for this post.