Skip to main content

Mortgage Payment Solutions

OneMain Financial understands that situations arise beyond your control. We sincerely want to work with you. We may be able to find a solution that will keep you in your home. We have experienced representatives who are ready to discuss your options with you.

Take the next step


Contact Us Today

Call 1-866-698-8332 - we are here to help.


Be Prepared

Download and complete the Loss Mitigation Application Form and provide proof of income.


Work Together

We will work with you to find the best solution for your situation.

For OneMain Financial to better understand your current financial situation, the following items should be provided in order to be considered for any of the solutions below: most recent W-2, pay stubs, tax return document(s), and bank statements.


You may be eligible for home ownership counseling provided by non-profit organizations that are approved by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and experienced in providing such counseling. You can obtain the names and phone number of these approved agencies by calling 1-800-569-4287.

You may also contact the Homeownership Preservation Foundation (HOPE) at 1-888-995-HOPE (4673). The HOPE Foundation is also a non-profit agency with experienced counselors to assist homeowners who are having difficulty meeting their mortgage payment obligations.

Your Rights to Submit Requests for Information and Notices of Error

Customers with closed end real estate mortgage loan accounts have rights under Federal law to submit requests for information concerning their accounts and/or notices of errors regarding the servicing of their accounts. The information below generally describes how you can submit such a request or notice to us, and our process for responding to you.

A Request for Information (“RFI”) means a written request for information about your mortgage loan that is submitted by you or your agent. The written request must include your name and account number, and must describe the information you are seeking. An RFI does not include a request for a payoff balance.

A Notice of Error (“NOE”) means a written notice from you or your agent which asserts that there is an error with the servicing of your mortgage loan. The written notice must include your name and account number, and must describe the error that you believe has occurred. If possible, you should also include the dollar amount of the error.

The following types of errors are covered:

  • A failure to accept a conforming loan payment;
  • A failure to properly apply an accepted payment to your account;
  • A failure to timely credit a payment to your account;
  • Failure to timely disburse amounts from your escrow account or refund an escrow account balance;
  • Imposition of an impermissible fee;
  • Failure to provide an accurate payoff balance;
  • Failure to provide accurate information regarding loss mitigation options;
  • Failure to properly transfer information about your account to a new servicer;
  • Any other error relating to the servicing of your mortgage loan.

An RFI or NOE must be in writing and mailed to the following address: OneMain Executive Office of Customer Care, P.O. Box 1170, Evansville, IN 47706-1170.To be considered an RFI or NOE, you must submit your request/notice on something other than a payment coupon or a periodic statement. For instance, you can send us a letter. You do not have to label your notice as a “Request for Information” or a “Notice of Error.” We will review your submission to determine how it should be handled.


Within 5 days (excluding holidays, Saturdays, and Sundays) after we receive an RFI or NOE, we will provide you with a written response acknowledging its receipt.


For most types of RFIs and NOEs, we must complete our investigation and respond to you within 30 days (excluding holidays, Saturdays, and Sundays) after receiving your RFI or NOE. We also may have an additional 15 days to respond (excluding holidays, Saturdays, and Sundays) if before the end of the 30-day period we notify you in writing of the need for an extension and the reasons for the extension.

While we must respond to most types of RFIs and NOEs on the timeline described above, in some cases we must respond sooner:

  • If you request the identity and address or other contact information for the owner or assignee of your loan, we must respond within 10 days after receiving your request (excluding holidays, Saturdays, and Sundays).
  • If you believe we have not provided an accurate payoff balance, we must respond within 7 days after receiving your notice (excluding holidays, Saturdays, and Sundays).


When our investigation is complete, we will notify you in writing. In the case of an RFI, we will either provide you with a copy of the requested information; or notify you that the information is unavailable and give you the basis for that determination. In either case, we will also give you contact information, including a telephone number, for further assistance.

In the case of an NOE, we will either correct the error or errors and give you written notice of the correction and the effective date of the correction; or notify you that we have determined that there is no error, the basis for ] that determination, and that you can request the documents we relied on in making that determination and how to do so. In either case, we will also give you contact information, including a telephone number, for further assistance.

Other Information

  • If your agent submits an RFI or NOE on your behalf, we may delay the above timelines while we confirm that the agent has authority to act on your behalf.
  • In order to investigate an NOE, we may request supporting documents from you, but cannot require you to provide such information as a condition of investigating the asserted error, or determine that no error occurred because you failed to provide any requested documentation without conducting a reasonable investigation.
  • We cannot charge you any fee or require you to make any payment that may be owed on your account as a condition of responding to your RFI or NOE. However, we may charge a fee for providing a beneficiary notice under applicable State law if the fee is not prohibited by applicable law.
  • For 60 days after receipt of an NOE, we cannot provide adverse information to a consumer reporting agency concerning any payment that is the subject of the NOE.

There are certain kinds of requests and notices that we do NOT have to treat as an RFI or an NOE. We do not have to treat an information request as an RFI if the request: is duplicative of another request, seeks confidential/privileged information, seeks irrelevant information, is overbroad or unduly burdensome, or is submitted more than one year after we have transferred servicing to another servicer or the mortgage loan is discharged. We do not have to treat an error notice as an NOE if the notice: is duplicative of another notice, is overbroad, or is submitted more than one year after we have transferred servicing to another servicer or the mortgage loan is discharged. If we can identify a valid information request or error notice from an otherwise overbroad or unduly burdensome submission, we will treat that part as an RFI or NOE, as applicable.

If we determine that we do not have to treat a request or notice from you as an RFI or an NOE, we will notify you in writing no later than 5 days (excluding holidays, Saturdays, and Sundays) after making such determination, and give you the reasons for our determination.

Frequently Asked Questions

general questions

Contact us immediately.Even if you feel you do not have any resources or ability to repay your loan, we may be able to help you save your home or, at the very least, minimize the negative impact to your credit.

No. Borrowers who are current on loans can seek assistance if they are experiencing financial hardship and cannot afford to make their mortgage payments in full.

Yes. Every borrower with some form of verifiable income and a desire to continue making payments will be considered for assistance.

Depending on the type of loss mitigation you choose (modification or other type), your credit score may be affected.

Whether or not you can still apply for assistance depends on whether you are in an active bankruptcy, have received a discharge, or have been dismissed from a bankruptcy proceeding. If you have been dismissed from a bankruptcy proceeding, you may contact us to discuss the loss mitigation options available.

If you have any questions concerning the status of your bankruptcy, please contact your attorney for clarification.


A cure is a pre-arranged agreement where your account is brought current by deferring past due amounts if you make at least 2 full payments in a row and demonstrate your ability to continue making full payments.

A modification is a pre-arranged agreement to modify one or more terms of your loan agreement to help you through a difficult period.

You must be experiencing a financial hardship, such as income reduction, that has caused the default on your loan.

Yes. You should always make your regular monthly payments.

Once we have all the necessary forms and documents to evaluate your application, we will contact you with a decision. If we determine that you are eligible, we will offer you a trial period payment plan which is normally a 3 month period. Once you successfully complete the trial period payment plan, we will modify your mortgage and send you all the new terms of your loan including your new payment.

short sale

A short sale is a pre-arranged agreement to sell your home for less than the amount you owe.

Whenever a debt is forgiven and the amount is above $600, we are required to send a 1099. Your individual situation will determine if you are taxed on the amount. We advise you to talk with your tax specialist. We also advise that you review the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act Extension information.

When you release your property, the difference between what you owe on the mortgage and what we sell the property for is called a deficiency.

If you qualify for this program, we may waive your deficiency. If we cannot waive your deficiency, you could still be responsible for the difference between the mortgage balance and the sale amount.

Yes. You may still be eligible. If your second lien is with another lender, we will work with you and the other lender to obtain clear title to finalize the transfer.

We are interested in helping you through the transition. Depending on the situation, we could provide you money for moving expenses and deposits.

Some of the solutions that may be available to help you keep your home

Cure Agreement

This option will allow you to repay part of the delinquency each month along with your current monthly payments.

Short Sales

In some instances, the market value has declined and selling your property for the full payoff amount may be difficult. We may accept less than the full payoff while still providing satisfaction of the mortgage lien in certain situations.

Loan Modification

If you are experiencing a financial hardship this option may allow you to modify the existing terms of your loan to assist with managing your current monthly payment.