With the excitement of the holidays behind us, the rest of winter may leave you craving stimulation and adventure.
If you’re starting to feel the winter blues, here are some low cost ways to beat cabin fever:
Rearranging your furniture may not be on your to do list but it can help you get out of your winter funk. Changing up your layout will be an accomplishment in itself and can create a sense of satisfaction. Another potential benefit can be maximizing the amount of natural light which can lift your mood. And depending on your space, you might be able to increase the visual size of the room.
To help you get started, here are some arrangement ideas by room type:
Learn a new skill or hobby
Whether for personal or professional reasons, designating time for self-development can be empowering. If you feel inspired to develop new skills or hobbies this winter, here are some ideas to consider:
- Pick up a new instrument - look up low priced lessons with a tutor or search for free online music lessons
- Get cooking - try some new low cost desserts or budget cooking recipes
- Start writing - create a diary, write a short story or start a blog
- Learn something new - explore a large variety of websites that offer free classes and tutorials
- Get fit - find out how to get a good workout at home with no gym membership
Complete a DIY project
Winter downtime can be a great opportunity to complete fun projects you’ve been too busy for in the past. Whether for decoration or functional use, do-it-yourself (DIY) projects can feed your creativity and possibly add value to your home. Your level of skill and craftsmanship may determine what you decide to take on but the intention is to have fun make good use of your time indoors.
Here are some examples of DIY projects to help cure cabin fever:
- Paint walls and trim
- Repaint old furniture
- Build new furniture
- Update lighting
- Clean or regrout tile in bathtub/shower
- Declutter your home
Sometimes you just need to get out of the house. If you’re ready to venture out and get some fresh air, here are some low cost activities to exercise your body and mind:
- Visit a museum
- Watch a local play
- Go ice skating
- Host an outdoor winter party
- Volunteer at a local charity
Break free from boredom
Beating cabin fever doesn’t have to require spending a lot of money. All you might need is a little ambition, some good ideas and the right attitude. If you keep your mind occupied, spring will be here before you know it!